Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring is Here (Almost)

Here on the High Plains, our first sign of spring is this:


It is not so much the blooming Johnny Jump Ups, as those tend to bloom all year long, but rather because I was able to go outside in my shirtsleeves and lay on the grass to take that picture. That's not easy to do in winter.

But the other signs are the daffodils and tulips poking up out of the soil:


They are always eager to bust out of their dark confines and see some snow, which will invariably come before spring is really here.

These are the signs that get me thinking about starting seeds, and this year I intend on intensifying my indoor seed-starting efforts. Having such a short growing season means I need to have seedlings ready to go by mid-to-late May, the last frost for the area. That's only 10 weeks away!

If you want to figure out your average last frost date, the Victory Seed Company has a few web pages that can help you out. Check it for your area here. To maximize production and harvest in your garden, you want to make full use of your growing season, which is defined as the time between the last frost date in the spring to the first frost date in the fall.

If your growing season is quite long, you can sometimes squeeze in two harvests. Scallions, for instance, is one plant that I can stagger and have a continuous supply for months. They even survive outdoors throughout the winter, although they don't taste so great come spring.

This year I will focus on those plants we either eat a lot of or what tends to be very expensive in the stores:

  • scallions
  • lettuce greens
  • spinach
  • tomatoes
  • bell peppers
  • soy beans
  • sugar snap peas
  • herbs

I also want to try some odd plants that I've never grown before, like chickpeas, adzuki beans, and black-eyed peas.

The nice thing about gardening is that is it relatively inexpensive to start from seeds, thus making it economical to explore and try new things. Some seeds are even "free". My entire bell pepper crop last year was provided by seeds inside one store-bought bell pepper. Imagine that! You can actually plant those things that usually end up in the trash! In a future article I will discuss how I preserve seeds for later use, and what I do to kick-start them back to life.

Starting seeds indoors can be just a simple little operation in some neglected corner of the house, or it can be full-scale madness, with lights and heated benches and irrigation systems. I'll discuss some of the techniques I use in coming articles. So stick around; lots of cool stuff coming!

1 comment:

  1. Try growing cool crops in the spring like leaf lettuce, arugula, etc. My big project this summer in Dallas is growing planter tomatoes. I have to deal with high daily heat and constant watering, but it should provide plenty of tomatoes if done right. Herbs like rosemary and tarragon are perfect for cooking companions. Also basel is popular to grow, as we make homemade pesto sauce every year and store in the freezer to preserve. Getting hungry -- time to cook up some pasta with pesto . . .

    ReplyDelete